My equipment/ The PC building thread

Get Help, Tips & Tutorials on Using Your Computer.

Re: My equipment/ The PC building thread

Postby MaTT » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:16 pm

DisColow wrote:I heard the new ATI video card has a very good price / performance ratio, maybe you should check it out!

AMD*
ATI hasn't existed since 2006 when it became a part of AMD (which is why you get AMD Radeon cards). But yes, the AMD RX480 has been big news in PC hardware for the past couple of weeks since AMD announced it. GeForce GTX 980 level performance at $200, with lower heat and power usage with the new 14nm Polaris GPU chip.

The motherboard is something you definitely don't want to cheap out on, if the VRMs on the motherboard go then you can say bye to your dead CPU and motherboard, it would probably damage other components as well like your graphics card and HDD.

Here's my suggestion for a nice budget build along the lines of what you've got there.

Processor: Intel Skylake Core i3-6320 3.90GHz
(More powerful than the i3-6100 and seems to be around the same price, if not cheaper)
Motherboard: ASUS B150M-PLUS D3
(This motherboard looks like a decent budget option for Skylake)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
(The ASUS motherboard supports DDR3 so a decent DDR3 kit it is from the reputable Corsair)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 480
(As said, this card is not on retail yet, but the price you cannot argue with for it's fierce performance figures)
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 7200RPM 1TB HDD
(Despite it's cryptic name, this is a very good HDD for a cheap price. I bought the DT01ACA200 which is the 2TB model and it was perfect, 1TB is usually enough space for most people though)

Here is my suggestion for a more advanced 'budget' build although a little more expensive.

Processor: Intel Skylake Core i3-6320 3.90GHz
(Same as the more budget build)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z170 Gaming K3
(A much better quality motherboard, looks nice, supports the "full fat" Z170 chipset and supports DDR4)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
(DDR4 RAM to go with the DDR4 motherboard, the one you suggested is already a great option)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 480
(Again, same as the budget build, a GPU definitely worth the wait)
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 7200RPM 1TB HDD
(Again, same as the more budget build)

As for the case and power supply, i'll let you decide. Make sure the case supports at least an mATX motherboard (and an ATX motherboard for the more advanced suggestion), and is obviously wide enough for a graphics card. Also make sure you don't get a cheap power supply. They can be dangerous to your computer and can over power some components, causing damage and even failure. Make sure the power supply also has high enough watts to meet all your components power needs, but also isn't too high which will make it less efficient, using more electricity than is needed. I don't really have enough knowledge with power supply brands and models, i've always just stuck with Corsair power supplies since they've been reliable and good quality for me since I started building computers.
MaTT

Home-Game: Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
Favourite Weapon: 1.4 Turbo
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|TitaN*|
Steam Name: Mattipoika
Clan Wars: 0

Postby Apple » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:41 pm

Hey, I need a new pc but don't know much about making them so I thought maybe you can help me. :)
My budget is about 800€ but i can go higher if needed.
I don't know if there is something that can be used from my old pc to lower the price so this is it http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c03402842
Edit: forgot to add this would be a gaming pc :p
Apple

Favourite Weapon: TNT
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|Apple|
Steam Name: samli20
Clan Wars: 1

Postby DarKMyst » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:50 pm

depends totally what you want to do with it..............by the look of it, your old pc is already a nice one. Upgrade your graphic card if possible ( size of the card.!? ) The higher GB cards are often huge in size, must fit of course. ) buy a ssd disk and maybe upgrade your processor. At least, that is what I would do.
But i think you want to spent some money? Then for your new PC ..........at least get ssd disk(s) put them in raid and you have even more speed. Processor? The higher you go in cores and speed, the more money you pay of course. Could already be your whole budget. And of course you must have a motherboard capable of having that processor.
But I think Matt can give you better advise, he knows a bit more about the building area.
DarKMyst

Favourite Weapon: grenade launcher
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|DarKMyst

Postby MaTT » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:07 pm

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vchL2R

Here's a good little price list to get you started. Ignore the fact it's Germany, but that was the closest I could get it to Finland prices. Some parts might cost higher, some lower but hopefully they should be around that mark. I left out the storage and optical drive since I think you could re-use your hard drive and optical drive. That would also make it easy installing windows, because it's already installed. You will need to buy a new Windows key though but they are fairly cheap on some stores, I usually buy mine through a site called SoftwareGeeks.

This parts list should easily run pretty much any game excluding the most demanding out there like possibly Star Citizen, Crysis and Modded Minecraft xd
MaTT

Postby Outblast » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:24 am

I would also buy an SSD drive for to install windows on, 60-120gb is enough. Makes a huge difference. :)

Matt you really recommenced a dual core of a quad core? I must be really out of the loop atm.
Outblast

Favourite Weapon: Firing for effect!
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|Outblast|
Clan Wars: 5

Postby DarKMyst » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:03 am

It all depends what other kind of parts you use, sometimes a dual core has a better performance than a quadcore. Sometimes Intel dual core is better than a amd quadcore or the other way around. Just look up the benchmarks and see what is better for the goal you want it for. And still not all the games are using the potential of a quadcore.
But I agree with buying one or two SSD disks. Put them in raid and you have even more speed. The disadvantage, like with the sata hd`s, if one f*ck`s up, you have a problem when in raid, but with SSD is that risk a lot less ( no mechanical parts )But it is all the users choice.
DarKMyst

Postby Apple » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks for the advice guys :)
I already bought one yesterday because i'm so impatient and just need one fast xd
Apple

Favourite Weapon: TNT
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|Apple|
Steam Name: samli20
Clan Wars: 1

Postby MaTT » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:33 pm

Outblast wrote:I would also buy an SSD drive for to install windows on, 60-120gb is enough. Makes a huge difference. :)

Matt you really recommenced a dual core of a quad core? I must be really out of the loop atm.

i3 may be a dual core but it uses hyperthreading which essentially makes it a quad core. i3 and i7 processors use hyperthreading to effectively double their core count:
i3 = 2 cores, 4 threads
i5 = 4 cores, 4 threads
i7 = 4 cores, 8 threads
MaTT

Postby Outblast » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:23 pm

Owning a decent rig is freaken addictive :D
Seeing that I have a motherboard with FM2+ socket, whats the best cpu I can get for that mobo? I current have AMD X4 740 3.2 black edition. Is it worth to OC it, getting something else from that range or to look for a complete new CPU+mobo set up.
The other day I was playing assassins creed III and fps drops from 60 to 28 during sections where the cpu really has to work hard :sad:
Outblast

Favourite Weapon: Firing for effect!
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|Outblast|
Clan Wars: 5

Postby DarKMyst » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:41 pm

Just out my lack of knownledge bag...........Sometimes windows doesn`t activate all the cores. If you run Msconfig, you get the menu ....second tab ......( boot ) then advanced tab .......you get a menu where you see how many cores are selected. Check the little box and you can select how many cores you want to run.Sometimes, ( but that is very rare ) you can not select how many cores you have ( it stays on zero or 1 ), restart PC and make the bios come up. Select optimalized defaults, ( or just defaults ) and that should do the job.
DarKMyst

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware/Software

• Advertisement