My equipment/ The PC building thread

Get Help, Tips & Tutorials on Using Your Computer.

Re: My equipment/ The PC building thread

Postby Outblast » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:18 pm

yeh, what power supply do you have?
Outblast

Home-Game: Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
Favourite Weapon: Firing for effect!
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|Outblast|
Clan Wars: 5

Postby DarKMyst » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:54 pm

thx for your advice sofar Matt. Dust and cooler is not a problem, fans are all working also from the videocard. PSU is a 750 watt coolermaster ( i know, not one of the best brands ) with 60 A on the +12v rail and 0.6 on the -12v rail. Have some other PSU`s where the 12v rails have a "better" deviding Amps on the both rails. i got that video card ( the 3gb from a friend that had the overheating problems in his high end gaming system. Maybe can try to regulate the fans with a program ( forgot the name. It is also used for overclocking ) Like I said, have some other MB`s that are imo better, but no processors. ( all AMD sockets ) And also short on ddr3 memsticks. But I will give the specs from one board that i think is the top from what I have available and can trade some stuff I have for stuff i need. ;)
DarKMyst

Favourite Weapon: grenade launcher
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|DarKMyst
Clan Wars: 0

Postby DarKMyst » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:14 pm

okay, here is a list of MB`s i have.Is it possible to pick out the topper from this and a cpu that would give the best performance in combination with MB.?

Asus M5A7BL-M/USB3
Asus M4A7BL-M LE
Biostar A960D+
ASRock K8NF6G-VSTA
GigaByte GA-A55M-DS2

Of course I can google for the specs, but there are a lot of specs that i don`t exactly know the meaning of and if they add something extra in comparison with other boards.
DarKMyst

Postby MaTT » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Asus M5A7BL-M/USB3 Would certainly be the best of those MBs for sure. It supports AM3+ which is AMD's current line of processors, 4 slots for plenty of RAM. A PCI-e x16 would get the full potential out of your XFX Radeon R7970 and, and the AM3+ slot allows some great choice for an AMD CPU which would be the perfect value for money. If you have any AMD CPUs let me know, otherwise an AMD Athlon X4 845 would be a fantastic match with an amazing price-performance score.
MaTT

Favourite Weapon: 1.4 Turbo
Wolfenstein ET Name: #ET|TitaN*|
Steam Name: Mattipoika

Postby DarKMyst » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:24 pm

Thx MaTT,good info and you helped me on the way already. Don`t have amd quadcores, only dual cores and max is the 5600. Will try to get the amd athlon x4 that you advised. Maybe will take a little while, but you never know...... :))
What are your thoughts about the psu? I have a few other ones, must only look if they have the 6 and 8 pin connectors.
DarKMyst

Postby MaTT » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Whoops, just noticed that the CPU i told you about only supports FM2+ and not AM3+. When looking at the motherboard I noticed that it supported Athlon processors, but that turns out to be Athlon II processors, not Athlon. A good processor for AM3+ (after doing my research a bit better) would be the FX-6300. It's a little more expensive, but it's got around the same performance as some i5 processors and it's got to be said, CPUs are never going to be cheap.

I'm not sure about your PSU since Coolermaster do a lot of different PSUs. If it's 750 watt then it should produce enough to power your system. If you think you need to change your PSU, usually corsair do the best PSUs in my opinion, they've never let me down. Try the Corsair CX series, I would play it safe and go with the CX500 500 watt but I really doubt you would need any more than that for your components.
MaTT

Postby DarKMyst » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 pm

Yes, I know about corsair and believe i have one. Stability is the main issue for a psu i think. Specially on the 12v rails. I know cpu`s are not cheap, or you must go for less performance. But who would do that....lol
I have to be patient and do with what i can get. But many thanks again for your help. You gave me some good info.
DarKMyst

Postby DarKMyst » Tue May 17, 2016 8:54 am

Just out of curiosity, is there a way/program around to check ram strips? I have loads of memory strips and sometimes it is a disaster to check them. Okay i could built a certain kind of outside the case PC but then i still have the differences like.....ddr/ddr2/ddr3 to fit. Probably you all know how irritating it can be to add or remove memory strips in some builts. So......i am curious if there is something around to test memory strips in an easy way.

regards DarKMyst.
DarKMyst

Postby MaTT » Tue May 17, 2016 10:03 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean by test them. If you mean to see if they work then hooking them up to a live system or tes bed would be the only option. Computer hardware is complex stuff and has all been designed to work together in a specific way, it's not like you can just stick a power source and a multimeter on it to see if it works, you might even destroy the RAM if you do that; it was designed to take a very specific voltage.

If you mean test it for the specs or to see what DDR version it is then it usually has some info on a label on the RAM and you can usually look up the specification on the manufacturer's website. Keep in mind specific DDR RAM versions only work with specific motherboards.
MaTT

Postby DarKMyst » Tue May 17, 2016 10:36 am

thx Matt for your quick reply. I was referring to test if the strip was 100% in working order. I thought .......maybe there is some specialized equipment to do that. Leaves me with building a open PC built, where it is easy to swap motherboards and have a fixed psu etc.
DarKMyst

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware/Software

• Advertisement